Removing The Mask From Postpartum Depression

Being postpartum is a confusing experience. You’re overwhelmed by mazal tov texts, calls, and visits, recovering from labor and delivery, and taking care of a newborn all at the same time. This was baby number three for me, but I had an inkling in the back of my mind that it was going to be more difficult than the others.

The night we brought home the baby from the hospital, my six-year-old came down with the flu. My husband and I did our “zone defense” and took care of it as best we could so that no one else would get sick. It was stressful, especially with a newborn and still recovering, but we did it.

Image result for postpartum depression

Emergency Surgery

Then it happened. My 28-day old newborn wasn’t keeping any food down for a few days. After our marvelous doctor figured out what it was, there was a huge sense of relief but also a huge sense of panic, fear, and anxiety. My son needed emergency surgery.

He and I checked into the hospital and the staff prepped him for the surgery. This was a very harrowing experience. Not only was he hooked up so his vitals could be monitored, he had an IV which took up half the length of his arm, and an NG tube to empty out his stomach. Each time his stomach emptied, he screamed even more. I was given strict instructions which were impossible to hear: “No matter how much he cries, you can’t feed him until a few hours after the surgery.” This was going to be about 24 hours.

Holding him as he screamed, trying to calm him down as he was so hungry and hooked up to all of these machines, I felt helpless. There was nothing I could do. Being told you can’t feed your newborn baby is like someone telling you to “starve your child and have him scream with no way of consoling him.” It was brutal. I’ll never forget the screaming and crying (sometimes from both of us) but we came through on top. Thank G-d, the surgery went well and we were discharged two days later.

Life With Postpartum Depression

After all of the adrenaline died down from this experience, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was somewhat depressed before any of this happened, but now it was out of control. Depression, panic, and anxiety set in. Still, I had to take care of a newborn, recover from labor and delivery, and fulfill my need to put a smile on my face when I saw anyone outside of the family. The last thing I wanted to do was smile.

I didn’t leave my house for days. When I did, the sunlight burned my eyes because I wasn’t used to being outside. I took care of the baby all day and each time he napped I curled up into a ball next to him and cried. I wasn’t eating and was having a hard time taking care of the two big kids as well. Thank goodness I have the most supportive and helpful husband who ensured all of the kids were taken care of so that I could get a break to clear my head. However, the last thing in the world I could do was clear my head. Every time I was away from the baby, I panicked and couldn’t stop crying. Walking through the mall with my hood over my head, crying. Walking through the local Jewish grocery stores trying to avoid people I knew with my hood over my head, still crying. Nothing was helping.

Confronting My Depression

We decided it was a good idea to extend my maternity leave until my postpartum depression (PPD) was under control. I went to the doctor every week, switching medicines, switching doses, trying to find something that worked. I finally had the strength to search for PPD resources around Bergen County, and let me tell you: it was slim pickings. I posted anonymously in Facebook groups asking for resources, but the majority of them came up short. I called the numbers on lists I was given and most of the time I was told, “That group doesn’t meet anymore,” or, “This group is still forming,” or “You’re insurance won’t cover it,” or the worst one: “That person doesn’t work here anymore and we no longer offer PPD support.” I was left empty-handed with no one who really knew how to further my recovery.

After my wonderful husband encouraged me to speak to some people he knew that had gone through PPD, I was left with a few messages. Get your story out there so you can one day help other people, don’t be afraid to ask for help, and no matter how difficult it is, try to keep to a schedule each day. I was in favor of the last two, not so much the first one.

So I made a schedule for myself each day along with a menu of what I was going to eat. For the first few days, it was hard to keep to, but it eventually became routine. Part of the schedule was going to the gym almost daily to train for my first bike-a-thon that I’m doing this summer. The adrenaline I had after biking each day was so strong that I was slowly able to start leaving the baby more. (Thank goodness for helpful in-laws who offered to watch him every time.) There was still anxiety each time I left him, but after a few weeks, I finally had the clarity I needed to realize, “Shelli, take care of yourself; the baby will be fine.” I went shopping, exercised at the gym, did laundry, and just went about doing typical things that I wasn’t doing for the previous few weeks.

How I’m Doing Today

Now here we are, about two months after the baby’s surgery. Do I still have PPD? Yes. Am I managing it as best as I can? Yes. Am I still trying to find good resources to help? (The few I found I have been utilizing.) Yes.

I have returned to work full time. With my stress ball in hand, I was ready to go. It was extremely exhausting leaving my baby, paying attention to my job, and pretending everything is great to my students and coworkers, all while crying in the bathroom during my breaks. I also didn’t have the time that I had before to really take care of myself. Going back to the work-life balance is going to be a slow adjustment, but now I know that I will be able to do it.

Why I’m Sharing This

Why am I telling you this whole long story? Part of the reason is to encourage you to seek help when you need it no matter how hard it is. Another part is to bring to light PPD and try to get more resources out there. To thank my husband for his never-ending love and support throughout this journey. Additionally, I would, of course, like to thank my family as well as close friends for supporting me throughout this extremely difficult experience. The last part of the reason why I’m sharing is really for me: to get my story out there and for everyone to understand why I may have been acting so differently.

One of my rabbis once told me, “Today’s headlines line, tomorrow’s trash cans.” You may have scrolled through this quickly, and clicked “like”, but what I really want is to spread awareness. PPD is no joke. It can hit you like a ton of bricks, but once you get the proper help, you’re able to remove those bricks one at a time. It may take a long time, but lightening the load each day really helps.

No More Hiding

Will I get through this? Of course. Is it going to take a while? Yes. When you ask me how I’m doing, will I say everything is good? No. I’m all about honesty, and I will no longer be hiding behind my smiling mask. But, I will continue to be resilient and take it just one day at a time.

Please click here to read other stories


Shelli Sussman
Latest posts by Shelli Sussman (see all)

Share your thoughts