Creative Expression Contest #CEC
Welcome to the Refuat Hanefesh Creative Expression Contest. Submission will be accepted beginning January 1st 2019 and the last day to enter the contest is March 30th 2019. Please send any questions or thoughts to CEC@refuathanefesh.org.
The contest is meant to open the conversation surrounding mental illness in our community, reduce the stigma, and generate ideas to increase our communal support and understanding. Below are prompts to get you started, however, your submission could be related to any mental health topic you feel passionate about. We welcome submissions of all types. These can include but are not limited to: articles, poems, videos, songs, pictures or any other format you can imagine. Winners will be chosen from different age groups based on creativity, genuineness, and impact.
- Many celebrities have come out with their stories of mental illness in the past year, seemingly decreasing the stigma and making it easier for others to open up about their experiences. Would it have a greater impact on how you view mental health to know that a celebrity, close friend or prominent rabbi/leader is facing mental illness?
- According to The Center for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide rates are up 30% since 1999. What do you view as the cause of this increase and what would you propose to reverse it?
- A substantial percentage of childhood is spent in the classroom. What can our educational institutions do to improve our mental health and well being?
1) Can I submit more than one piece?
You can submit as many creative pieces as you want! However, each individual can only win once. Each submission will be judged separately.
2) What age group is this contest for?
All ages! There are 3 age groups in the contest: elementary school, high school, and college and up. Each group has its own prizes and judging rubric.
3) What do the creators of the best pieces win?
Three winners will be chosen from each age group. Prizes include gift cards to large retailers including Amazon, Target, and Costco. The first 100 submissions will automatically get a prize.
4) Who will judge the submissions?
The submissions will be judged by the board members of Refuat Hanefesh and volunteers. If you are interested in being a judge please email CEC@refuathanefesh.org.
5) Do I need to be Jewish to submit?
No, you do not need to be Jewish to submit. All you need is an idea and a passion for making your voice heard about mental health!
6) Will you publish my submission?
We may publish some submissions. You have the right to request that we do not publish it or that we publish it anonymously.
7) Can I submit something I have previously published?
All submissions for this contest must be original pieces that have not been previously published.
8) Will men judge songs submitted by female entrants?
No. All the songs submitted by females will be judged by females.